Pages

Friday, June 5, 2015

From 29,000-ft.

Flying due north from
    Baja to Seattle,
a band of orange-red light
    stretched  across
the extended horizon
    outside my window
as the sky above became night.

The sun seemed to
    ignite the base of
occasional clouds until
    they burned red
        as if the mists were
        sleeping on an king-sized
        bed of hot coals.
Reflected by a restless ocean,
    the sky formed a rainbow of
    blues from black to almost white.

Starlight, star bright,
the first star I see tonight.
I wish I may, I wish I might
have this wish I wish tonight.

Even though the first star I saw
    in the near blackness was
    likely the planet Venus and
    even though I was a grown-up,
    I made a wish.

I wished that our fertile Earth
    would always paint
    such wonderful sunsets.

Sunset from the level of the Pacific Ocean
by Jeter Skeet

No comments:

Post a Comment