Pages

Monday, July 20, 2015

Bookstore Café

I’m sitting at a flat-topped toadstool,
my legs astride its pedestal,
inhaling cinnamon-spiced hallucinogens
from the spores that pass
between the mushroom and my pen.

I’m sitting at a square-topped toadstool
inspired to seed the forest in which I live
with words inscribed on paper leaves
that grow on terraced nourishment
surrounding this mushroom place.

I’m sitting at a table toadstool
inside a café inside a bookstore
inside alternate realities found
in books trying to create possibilities
out of the magic practiced here.

I’m sitting at a toadstool among many
watching phantom toads be toads
while I pretend to be a novelist even
while I know my pen is being guided
by inhabitants of this fairy forest.

                                        12/10/08

Toadstool in Florida
by Jeter Skeet




No comments:

Post a Comment