Pages

Friday, May 1, 2015

Finding Moments

My moments occur most often when I'm watching people or animals.  Then I stretch those inspirations into hours or even days by writing in a journal or processing photographs on Lightroom.

There are many places to people-watch--restaurants, pocket parks, or even box stores that provides benches near the exits.  When I can't keep up with my family at Wal-Mart, I make a snake-line to a bench.

A slim white-haired woman came by with a wagon atop her shopping cart.  We made eye-contact and I asked if the wagon was for a grandchild.  She said, "No" and proceeded to tell me that the wagon was cheaper than a wheelbarrow.  I could just see her leaning over to one side trying to pull on the short handle during her gardening.
Another woman was wearing a drab homemade dress typical of Amish attire, but she had no hair covering.  She was wearing pumpkin-orange and coal-black striped knee-length socks. She may have been going to a quilting bee at her church that afternoon to brag about the dress she'd just finished and the new socks her granddaughter had given her for her birthday.
A couple were walking side by side. She was delicate weighing at most a petite hundred pounds.  He was a three-hundred pound cousin of a grizzly bear, complete with fur on his chin, arms, and a tuft peaking out of the neck of his shirt. I couldn't help but speculate about the hair on the rest of his body and imagined her snuggling into a warm fur coat.

Anhinga looking backwards
Brazil-2010
by Jeter Skeet



No comments:

Post a Comment